View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 04:36 AM   #26
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Couple of things to add that haven't neccessarily already been addressed by the fine folks on this site.

Set up and break down every couple of days. It will get old but I can't imagine it not getting old if you chose a tent, a pop up, or any tow behind trailer. There is not much "special" that you have to deal with in this rig than any other type out there....in fact, being big means they didn't have to cramp all the hook ups into a real small space so it might be a little easier.

Since you will be setting up and breaking down every couple of days, I will assume you will be moving your rig down the road between those events. You will find that (at least in my opinion) that towing/backing a 5th wheel is MUCH easier than a tow behind trailer, even a small trailer. Once you get comfortable with it (back to the practice theme again) you will be happy with your decision.

One piece of advice, if you haven't towed a large rig before with a brake controller make sure you practice being able to reach down and manually engage the trailer brakes without looking for the lever. In almost all emergency situations (blow out, loss of a tire, etc) brake first with the trailer only to reestablish control of the whole rig and then use the truck brakes to come to a complete and safe stop.

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote