Thread: DVD Player
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The sound in mine died recently, picture but no sound. It is a no name system. By that I mean there was no manufacturer name on the unit, the speakers, the remote, or even the manual.
I just replaced mine with a Panasonic Blu-ray home theater system I got at Best Buy for $279. It has FM receiver, SD card, and an Ipod port also. They had non blu-ray systems for quite a bit less, but we have a number of blu-ray DVDs so I spent a little more to get it.
Sound is much better than the original. Only problem was the speaker size. The original speakers were 3" square. I chose the Panasonic because it had the smallest speakers I could find. But even on it, the center speaker was something like 3 1/4" x 6" and the others were 3 1/4" x 5". I had to do some modifications to the cabinet to get the front ones to fit.
And the rear speakers would not fit the brackets that hang down. The old speakers had threaded fittings in the back of the speakers. The new ones did not. So I had to fabricate some braces from some aluminum bar to attach the speakers to the existing brackets. Pretty simple brace.
Nothing overly difficult, just a little time consuming. But I did have all the tools I needed.
If the existing speakers are still good, and the ohms match up for the new system, you could use the existing speakers with the new system to save cabinet work. But I think the new speakers sound much better. I could not find a DVD/home theater system that did not include new speakers.
It seems to be well worth the effort.
If you replace it yourself, you will need to get a DVD/home theater system. Best Buy had several brands/models. A basic DVD player does not have the speaker outputs to drive the 5.1 speakers. And I could not find one at all that had the additional outputs to drive the bedroom speakers. If I decide I really want those to function, I will have to get a special A-B switch for them. But I did not use those except when using my Ipod, so I may not worry about it.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote