View Single Post
Old 05-23-2010, 12:40 PM   #15
klash
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9399
My wife got tired of trying to juggle those tiny little trays into the freezer in our Monty, and of course sometimes they spilled. If company came for Happy Hour, well, guess what - not enough ice cubes. We are currently on the road in transit from the west coast to the east coast, and traveling across the US. When we were back in Nashville, we went to the Camping World store, and invested in a Roam Ice Maker. Not cheap, but on sale at $239. The staff said the previous units they carried were very prone to failure, but they dropped that line, and they now carry units made by Roam. Size is 14" by 16" by 16" high, and they weigh 36 lbs empty. We use distilled water, and the unit will make little round cubes in small, medium and large sizes. They have a hole in the centre, as that is how the ice is made. The unit is made of stainless steel.
Unit will shut down when ice basket is full, or when it runs out of water. If you expect a unit
like this to make enough ice to fill a cooler for sodas or beer, I don't think this machine is for you. If you want lots of ice for a simple happy hour, this will work fine. I found that the ice is firmer and nicer when I dumped the first couple of batches back down into the
water tank. It seems when the unit is chilled throughout it works better. I have set ours in the basement right next to the mini bar fridge, and accessible from the right hand storage door. It rides along there perfectly, and when it is shut down and we are in transit there is some water in the tank, so it is all ready to go as soon as we set up.
klash is offline   Reply With Quote