Thread: California DMV
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007, 11:45 AM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I read on one of the RV Forums that some RVers had been stopped in the Sacramento area for some traffic violation. And when the officer checked the trailer and saw that the trailer GVW was listed at more than 10001 pounds AND the driver did NOT have an RV exemption they had to drop their trailer or let someone who had the proper license drive. So folks would have to leave their rigs on the side of the road and go to the nearest DMV and get the exemption.

I can't imagine that happening but I am just reporting what I read. This made me decide to study up for the RV test and go in and get the exemption. It is a piece of cake...... once you can get to someone who even knows about this process. And easy 20 question test. No medical.

So got that done and now have the following on the backside of my CADL: "41. May tow fifth wheel recreational trailer between 10,001 and 15,000 pounds GVWR."

My guess is that a person could probably drive a lifetime and never run into a situation as described above. However with my luck I'd get stopped as soon as I hooked up my rig!

The kicker to this whole thing is that a year after I got the code 41 exemption I got a renewal in the mail. I have to take a significant amount of pain killer medication. I duly reported all my medical information. Shortly thereafter I received a small "book" to fill out then take to my doctor or doctors! Long story but they eventually said to comply with request for all medical info ASAP or DL would be suspended. I ended up having to go in for a "special" interview. Passed that one and was told to report for a driving test. Took that and passed with flying colors. So all is well that ends well but it was an ordeal.

I have one more year before DL expires. It will be interesting to see what they want this next go around.

I would guess that most Montanas will fall somewhere in the 10,001 and 15,000 pound GVWR area. That means that in the state of California one needs to have the code 41 OR a class A DL of some sort to be legal. I do not follow the model info too closely so don't know how many Montana models are over the 15,001 GVWR.

Just be aware of the legal requirements and make your decision based on full knowledge.

It would be interesting to know what other states requirements are regarding this issue. By the way it is NOT how much the trailer actually weighs: It is the number on the sticker on the side of the trailer.

Good luck Bob.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote