View Single Post
Old 11-06-2017, 07:52 PM   #16
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
No you can push it out yourself, just push in the middle against the valance and it will go out fairly easily. We pushed ours out several times when on the road when it broke as we had to wait for the part to come in. Ours retracted fine just the out gear that was NFG.... You take it all the way out if you want, up to you. easy to work on when it is all the way out but again up to you. I used a small 3 stair ladder to work off. Yes the black brackets on the end of the chains. The black plastic molding covering the chains comes off with a few screws, makes it easier to work on. You can do it with the moulding on but quite frankly it is a pain in the arse trying to stretch the chains back on the gearbox as it is right in the damn way. If you leave it in/out about half way you might be able to lay on the top of the slide and do that part though... I'd wait till you get the gearbox if you are still using the trailer though. As I said we waited about 3 weeks for our part but there wasn't any anywhere in North America at that time so they were waiting on a shipment from China... Might be ok this time of year. This is a relatively common problem that is not isolated to Montana's only but with all the newer trailers using cable slide drives. Great proven technology that they cheaped out sourcing parts and now have a problem. Easiest way to support is to buy a 10ft 2x4 and cut it to length required to reach the ground while having the other shorter piece added to it to make a T on top. You simply wedge it under the bottom of the slide outside and the T keeps it stable and in place... Good luck

speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote