View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 06:28 AM   #39
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
I spent a lot of time researching tires as they seem to be the most common issue on all forums. For every tire brand there is someone who tells a tale of defect and disaster. Eventually it seemed a few themes emerged that have been well covered in this thread and other threads on the MOC forum. They are tire choice and tire care. I am a process oriented person and I try to look at these as logical steps that reduce my risk of having a disaster by reducing both the probability and consequence of a tire failure. I hope you will not mind my sharing them with you. I am no expert, just cautious.

Step 1. Tire choice:
- Choose a tire that is rated at least 20% above the greatest static load you intend to place on it. Dynamic loads will be higher and an individual tire may be more or less capable due to the vagaries of manufacture.
- Match rim and tire. Mismatching widths increases side wall stresses and may increase the potential for sidewall damage.
- Choose a tire that is manufactured to a North American, European, Japanese or equal standard of production including quality control. (For example Goodyear tires are made in several countries but to the same standard. They police that standard with quality controls that meet international standards. Other reputable manufacturers do the same.)
- Check the NTSA, Transport Canada or European equivalent web sites for recalls and warnings.
- Choose a tire that matches your driving speeds and with a tire/tread design that fits the application.
- Check the tire date to ensure you aren't buying or are not running on an old tire.

Step 2. Tire Care
- Monitor and adjust inflation and especially avoid an under inflation situation. You can buy a pressure/temperature monitoring system for around $200. Check tire inflation when the tires are cold (at ambient temperature). A tire in full sun will absorb a lot of heat and consequently appear higher inflated than one in the shade.
- Do not overload. If you are always at or very near the maximum of a tire load when not moving you are probably overloaded on every bump, every curve, when road camber is excessive or in a cross wind situation. Keep that safety margin/breathing space.
- As much as possible balance and level your load. Pay attention to pin weight and height. If you have already used up all the flex in your trailer suspension and hitch then increased stresses on both are unavoidable.
- Avoid sharp turns at speed and slow down on rough roads and for bad bumps.
- Do not drive faster than the tire is rated. Speed also multiplies the consequences of a tire failure and can turn a inconvenient expense into a human tragedy.
- Inspect tires regularly (fuel stop visual) and increase the frequency when driving conditions place more demands on the tires. If a tire hits an object such as a big rock, a bad pot hole or a curb inspect it ASAP.
- If you suspect a tire, change out to the spare and have the tire checked by an expert.

I know that there are probably other "Rules" that the more experienced MOC'rs have that you can add to my list. I would be very interested to hear them. That is the beauty of the MOC. The sum of the whole is greater than the sum of the individual members.

MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote