View Single Post
Old 04-25-2018, 09:04 PM   #3
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Coming west on I-12 there is a Pilot at exit 40. When I got to the exit I had to brake hard because traffic on the exit ramp was backed up almost onto the interstate. We found the reason when we got down the hill. First you have to go around a round-a-bout past the entrance to westbound I-10 and of course the cross traffic on the road. Once you get off the first roundabout and go under the interstate then you hit the second similar roundabout on the other side. Once you finish that one the Pilot is on your left but you can't turn left you have to continue on to the next roundabout and come back on the other side of the road. Then you discover that the person who thought up the roundabouts thought a truck stop should have a narrow entrence and exit all in one place. Not to be outdone, the Pilot folks put the desiel lanes in the middle in front of the store. Once done there it was a simple matter of doing the two exit roundabouts again and getting back on the interstate. All with the accompaniment or a small herd of semi's. I kid you not, this is all true.
I lived in Louisiana for several years while working deep water GOM oil. The people are great and would give you the shirt off their back but their government is about the worst run and most corrupt I have ever seen in the USA. For sure nearly all of their roads are in really bad shape and like some other places I have visited (like my own states nearby Conway, AR) there are some so called roadway engineers that need to be taken to the woodshed!!! They should force whichever engineers design those roundabouts to spend eternity driving in circles around them.......

If your on I 10 going thru the capitol of Baton Rouge the East bound traffic going across the Mississippi river is narrowed down to ONE lane. This in one of the highest traffic areas of the entire state!!!! I can't tell you the number of times that I sat on that bridge in bumper to bumper traffic feeling it flex up and down!! All while having a view of the state capitol buildings, talk about irony.....oh and you can bet that some of the so called engineers responsible graduated from the local LSU.....I knew there was another reason to hate LSU (yeah I am a RAZORBACK fan).....
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote