View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 10:02 AM   #12
kipandbob
Established Member

M.O.C. #9500
Art,

Quite an undertaking, me thinks. I learned a lot from your photo presentation. Did you consider having this work done by Ford or other facility? I'm pretty good with my hands but this project appears to be more than I'd want to tackle myself. Obviously, the cost would be more than the $500.00 you paid.

Questions about the wheels you're considering: are they steel or something else? I ask because the 18" wheels I've seen thus far stipulate a rating of 3,200#. They are not steel, as I presume the stock wheels are. What is the offset of the wheels you're thinking of? I only recently learned of this term; it refers to where the tire's center line is relative to the mounting surface and is expressed as +, - or zero. Zero is the spec for stock wheels; - is what was called "reversed" wheels in the 60's.

Regarding a comment about the additional weight of 18" wheels & tires: it seems to me that weight wouldn't be a consideration since it sits on the ground, i.e., is "unsprung" weight; not supported by the truck. Perhaps I'm missing something here.

Cheers,
-Bob
kipandbob is offline   Reply With Quote