View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Turn your F-250 into an F-350

... almost!!!!

As some of you know I was investigating how to increase the GVWR of my 2006 3/4 ton F-250, SRW, 6.0L, 3.73 Diff, PSD (GVWR = 10,000, FAWR = 5600, RAWR = 6100) to a comparable 1 ton F-350. Air bags or aftermarket springs have fine print not to exceed your GVWR even with these modifications.

To accomplish I needed 2 things for sure and an optional third thing:

1. Add FORD parts - overload spring, brackets and bumpers to the leaf spring pack. Everything else (shocks, brakes, tranny, engine, other suspension parts are the same for both models).
2. Get larger wheels and tires to support the new weight capacity. This is planned.
3. Optional - Recertify the vehicle to acknowledge the modifications. Since I am not a commercial vehicle this is not required, but I might do this if it starts to bug me.

The first part of the conversion is complete. The overload springs have been installed. As I had promised to some, here's the link for the completed leaf spring work:

http://s658.photobucket.com/albums/u...0installation/

The procedure is simplified for relevance. The work took much longer than anticipated because of heat, learning things as I went on, trips to the store, I didn't want to rush, relatives visiting (and unable to help), etc. The first side I did over three days, but that's because of interruptions. The other side was done within 4 hours! The total cost was about $500 (California prices) for the suspension parts and 1-2 days after knowing about all the surprises.

In summary, I am very glad I did this. I will complete step 2 and purchase new tires when the current ones finally wear out, then I will be able to load up the trailer and truck with all the gear I have had to leave behind because of the pin weight problems many 3/4 ton trucks can have.

If you would like the parts list and detailed cost, just drop me an email.

FINALLY DONE!

For some of you who provided commentary about this, you might ask, why did I do this to myself? I will only say, I was looking for some security, some comfort and some mental relief that if I have a problem, it is not because of being over the weight ratings. I emphasize this was to benefit my rig combination only and I am not passing judgement on anyone if they don't do this. Thanks for your patience, understanding and support.

Art

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote