View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Since most of the diesel areas I go to also say "no smoking" I would imagine it would also be dangerous. Whether it's posted or not, I do turn things off.

It's not the open propane bottle that's the issue, the issue is the devices that get turned on when they try to use the propane as they try to reignite. The arcs and sparks of igniters for these devices are what causes fumes to ignite and become the problem at a fuel stop or in a tunnel (where lingering fumes can have difficulty evacuating), not the propane bottle being left on.

When I stop I only turn off the devices that use propane (in my case, just the fridge), but not the propane when I stop. Even if the propane is on there should not be a problem unless a device demands it. If the devices are off, then no demand and no chance of a spark. This goes for RV refrigerators, water heaters and furnaces since owners have been known to run with any of these turned on.

I never run with the oven, stove or pilot so I didn't list it, because a pilot will be a problem if the flame goes out somehow - there will be unburnt propane entering the rig since RV ranges do not have autoigniters for the propane. Most other devices have hardware that will relight propane devices, just not ovens, but you don't want any of this ignition occurring around a fuel or fume source.

I hope this helps.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote