View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 02:52 AM   #18
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

I think you will be happy with it. I installed a 5th airborne (same principle except hinged in front instead of rear). In the rear view mirror I can see the 5er moving up and down somewhat independent of the truck, so it is definitely taking some of the shock out of it.
And the truck rides smoother also. I had very little chucking to begin with. Just a little on some concrete highways. The new pin box eliminated virtually all of that.
Anyone thinking of adding one, it is really not a bad one man project if you want to save the installation cost and do not have help. I just lowered the tailgate and backed the truck under the pin box. Then lowered the trailer until the pin box was just above the tail gate. Removed the bolts and let the pin box drop the inch or so onto the bed/tailgate. Raised the trailer and pulled the truck out from under. Moved the old pin box out of the way and the new pin box to the tailgate. Backed the truck back under the trailer and lowered the trailer until the pin box frame moved down over the new pin box. Put the bolts back in and done. No heavy lifting required.
Did almost the same thing but I backed under the trailer with the 5th wheeel, un bolted the pin box and drove out from under it. I then put the new 5th airborne pin box on the 5th wheel and drove back under it and bolted it up. Worked well for us.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote