View Single Post
Old 12-08-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Hmmm, maybe there wasn't a problem. Nowadays, I drain my tank after every use and have been doing for for over a year now (been out about 10 times since then). Then when I get to the campground, I refill the WH and may not have waited long enough before opening a hot water faucet for this air bubble to form. I basically turn on the city water supply wait a while (do all kinds of other setup stuff), then open a hot water faucet valve to bleed the line.

I may have panicked since the water was falling all over the place and coming out pretty quick (more than a trickle I would say) and since I had never seen this before.... well there you have it.

What you all post makes sense it I didn't wait long enough before opening a valve, because the water coming out was very cold (even though both the propane and the electric element were on), but this could have been the overflow like what's mentioned and I had not waited long enough.

I will be paying more attention to when I turn on the water heater and waiting for the 10 gal WH to fill PRIOR then turning on the heat. It seems to me that I shouldn't worry about bleeding the hot water line until the water is hot.

I am glad that I don't store the WH with water any more and flush it out real good, too. The water quality has definitely improved a lot for us. Now I'll have to find that new procedure to get it refilled and turned on right, even if I have to visit the "manual".

Thanks for the hints!

The best one I've picked up on, is DON'T set up the day before a major holiday to prevent panic and give myself time to think about things BEFORE spending unnecessary money! (I destroyed the old relief valve when I removed it so I couldn't even reuse it to test it per your input. It would have been great to test it) Doing this when it was late in the day, dark, cold and I was too tired to think, was NOT a good idea.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote