View Single Post
Old 04-17-2018, 02:51 PM   #7
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
This is only my opinion - I don’t know for sure - but this is the 2nd unit we have owned with the power awnings and I don’t trust these things to resist any significant wind. All of our previous units over the years had manual dometic or (I forget the name - some other brand awning). In windy environments I could tie those awnings to the ground and the rafters and legs + the fabric could withstand a steady wind load. The power awnings don’t have any rigid framework. Everything is hinged. During our PID I asked the tech if it helped to tie these things down and he said “No. it’s best to put these things up when it’s windy”

Don’t get me wrong - these awnings are mighty convienient and easy to use - certainly easier than the manual awnings - but until somebody tells me how to secure these awnings I will simply not use mine in anything more than a light breeze - and I sure would not leave them out overnight. I have had my share of putting up the manual awnings in a 3:00 am sudden storm. I never lost one but I have seen plenty that were wrecked by wind gusts.

Has anybody tried leaving these things out at the Texas coast? They just don’t seem to be made for a windy environment.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote