View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 07:23 AM   #8
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
I removed the carpet, did some improvements to the stair supports while I had the grills off the risers etc and then installed two stair treads that I bought from Home Depot. |Bought the maple ones to match wood already there that are solid not press board and I cut them to length, as the bottom stair was significantly deeper stair tread than what can be bought I then drilled the back edge for dowels, glued and clamped on an extension piece of maple stock bought from Home Depot, sanded it all smooth, applied a stain that matched then applied 6 coats of latex urethane, installed with a pneumatic nailer and some PL 200 right over the aspenite/chipboard tread that was under the carpet and they look great and work awesome. The hard part of it was getting the damn staples out of the existing aspenite/chipboard treads... pretty simple job great results.... I then reinstalled the original grills on the risers to ensure return air to the furnace... If I can figure it out I will try and attach a picture...
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote