View Single Post
Old 06-10-2007, 07:31 AM   #9
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
I have to ask, is someone mistaking a "mid-ship" bearing for the "carrier" or "pinion" bearings? The pinion bearings are right behind the yoke on the front and ahead of the ring gear in the axle. The carrier bearings are inside the housing on either side of the ring gear. Mid-ship bearing is generally half-way between tranny and axle. I've not heard of carrier bearings going bad. I can also relate an experience of mine with an '01 Dodge/Cummins. I bought the truck used in '03. It had 17,000 miles on it and the dealer in Oak Park, MI where I bought it had just serviced the limited slip rear end. After about 7 or 8,000 miles I was getting a rear-end chatter when accellerating(sic) around a hard right or left turn. Turns out they hadn't put the 'friction modifier' in it. Adding that cured the chatter.
I now have an '05. I had the rear end serviced on it earlier this year and they did put the friction modifier in it. Unfortunately, the book says not to use friction modifier in limited slip axles on 2500 & 3500 Dodges from '03, '04, '05, '06, & '07. It seems they use a "...helical gear/pinion gear/pinion brake shoe arrangement..." to achieve the limited slip and addition of friction modifier defeats it.

The only approved lubricant is: Mopar SAE 75W-90 (GL-5)synthetic lubricant/ 05102232AA

Steve R.: They don't call the sheet I mentioned on another thread a "service bulletin". They call it a "Solution". Tell your dealer to pull up "Solution Number 999926279" and it will give the particulars on the American Axles (manufacturer).
Also check this site: http://www.turbodieselregister.com/
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote