Thread: third ac
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2020, 08:22 AM   #30
steiny93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17461
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
And what legal power does RVIA hold to enforce anything I do with my own coach after I buy it? They are strictly an advisory council to manufactures and have no legal authority to enforce codes. Much less tell owners what mods then can or can't do.

As far as I know there are no government codes that would keep you from using all the available power at the pedestal. They would have to stop people from plugging in lights, grills and fans if that were the case. Additionally if two power sources were illegal then what about solar at the same time your hooked up or using a generator?

Besides they have had wishbone cords that got you extra juice for years. They only stopped working when they started requiring GFI plug ins on the pedestals.

RVIA doesn't carry any legal powers to affect what owners do. Its a set of 'codes' that RV's follow when they are manufactured, very similar to homes and the 'codes' they follow.

But... electricians will follow the code when doing work. An owner will encounter an issue finding an electrician to attach a secondary power source to an RV in a hardwired manner. That is what I was referring to.

The dual power source is explicitly called out by the RV electrical code the topics of solar and generators are also described within the code.
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote