View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 06:03 PM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Wagonmaster, I can give you a little different perspective (we are preparing to FT, the others here are already FTing. My wife and I are going to FT starting at the end of May '06. We have been looking at RVs for two years. This spring we narrowed things down to 5vers. We then narrowed this down even further in July to the Montana line.

Basically, the main and biggest reason, we are chosing a Montana (3400RL) is VALUE! While it is not "rated" to be a FT 5ver, If you study it's construction and talk to fellow MOCers, it is easy to see that FTing in a Montana is definitely doable.

Now at $40-$45K for a Montana, let's look at the "FT" 5vers: First, lets take a look at the spec sheet. It's pretty obvious that even a 1 ton dually is going to be out of the question for a tv. "What's in YOUR wallet?", to coin a currently popular commercial on TV. You are now looking at a MDT ($$$ - even used). Added expense most people don't take into account while getting excited over the prospect of FTing and running through every 5ver in 20 counties.

Now let's take a look at these "Super" 5vers. First thing you will notice is that most have the EXACT same floorplan as of the Montana models, only with granite/Corian counter tops, real wood (Oak) flooring and cabinets, fancy brand name funiture that looks just like the furniture in the Montana - unless you get real close, very fancy (read: heavy) materials, basement that hangs a little lower (a little more room), and HEAVY. Is there some options on the Monaco that are not available on the Montana, BUT, that a FTer can live in a 5th wheel WITHOUT? DEFINITELY!!!

Dave (Montana Sky) did some research and priced a full blown Carriage/Royals International 38' Monaco w/ options (no one orders a stripped down 5ver to FT in - or any other use, actually). Base was $167K w/ the basic options most of us get on our Montana pushing the retail to $253K. Is there little better insulation and a bigger basement? Yes. Is it the same floor plan as most Montanas (Carriage does have a dual lavatory in their top model, which I happen to think is very cool), is the Montana easier to pull with an affordable tv? Yes. Does the Carriage have better insulation? Yes. Are there some who live in their Montana in northern climes in the middle of winter (and around the fringes)? Yes. Can I live in a Montana and shore up it's defense against inclement weather? Yes.

Is the $43K Montana and the $253K Monaco both able to be lived in year round? Yes.

Montana is the largest selling RV 5th wheel in the US. Keystone, while not perfect, would be ranked at the top of the heap in RV service after the sale. They have to be doing something right.

Is the $253K Monaco a beautiful unit? Yes, and until I win PowerBall, it will stay right where it is - on the dealers lot - while I drive around in my $43K Montana, that I have no doubt will serve as a beautiful, movable home come next May.

MOC forum is invaluable and seals the deal for me.

Again, speaking for me... my MAIN reason for FTing in a Montana is

*VALUE* *VALUE* *VALUE*

And the competition is not even close in this respect.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote