View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018, 05:05 PM   #17
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
[QUOTE=PNW Fireguy;1112496]With all due respect you don't buy a one ton dually and complain that you can't get the same milage that you get from you smart car. We have the 6.5KW commercial Onan and for what we wanted it's the ticket. I don't worry about what I can or cannot run. I can run everything I want when I want to run it. The noise or vibration is neglible for me. If you are going to go with an LP Onan it likes propane and you will have to deal with that issue in some respect. For us we have two 40lb tanks onboard and carry additional 30lb tanks. Our usage is about to change as the gen will predominantly be used to charge our lithium bank when mother nature prohibits sufficient solar input. Secondarily the gen will our AC units beyond the 2-4 hour range they can run on batteries.

For us the large internal gen was what met our needs at the time. We have invested in more renewable forms of energy and as such how we use the gen will change over the next months as I complete the installation of batteries and chargers. Lastly we won't need to carry as much propane. For us we never intended to run our large genset 24 hours a day. Ironically during our last major power outage in the PNW two winters ago we were very comfortable in our heated and powered 5er thanks to our Onan.[/QUOT

I work in the oilfield so instead of solar I suspect we will go diesel with the welder in back of the diesel dually. That way same fuel for both. Might even look at additional tank somehow. Although then you get into the weight issue......
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote