View Single Post
Old 08-26-2005, 10:39 AM   #7
Roman4
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3018
Helen:
Although we have rarely had occasion to test our oven-lighting skills, the few times we have tried it we have not found it to be an easy process. The last time I tried, I almost gave up. Then I found that no matter how hard I pressed on the knob I was unable to push it in far enough to activate the pilot. [As you know, you are supposed to press on the oven knob while attempting to find and hold a flame to the pilot area -- at best a job for two or more people or for a contortionist.]

I finally realized that by pulling the knob off, I could press in the knob shaft enough to allow the lighting of the pilot. It seems that the shaft was too short, the hole in the knob was too deep, or something was out of ajustment such that the knob would "bottom out" on the face plate before the shaft would be depressed enough to allow lighting, if that makes any sense. I will say that pressing on the shaft was somewhat rough on the fingertip, but it worked for me.

I had plans of finding a small item about the size of a BB pellet or something to put into the shaft-hole in the knob in hopes of allowing the knob to fully depress the shaft, but I have yet found the motivation to see what might work in that way. As I say, oven use has not been a frequent need of ours, to date.

I don't know if your issue might be the same, but you might consider that possibility.

Roman4 is offline   Reply With Quote