View Single Post
Old 02-12-2015, 02:56 AM   #17
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Have compared some vehicle insurance rates between the zip code we insure under in Illinois and the zip code we would possibly have in Florida. About 40% more. Depending on what property we buy in Florida, and what the homestead actually saves us, all that could almost wash out.

As a retired LEO, concealed carry restrictions do not apply. As long as a retired LEO qualifies with their home department once a year and gets approval, then they can carry throughout the U.S. Talked to my buddy who is a retired LEO from Illinois and moved to Florida 3 years ago. He visits family back in Illinois during the summer and does his qualifications at his old department while there. He also told me I could go to a county Sheriff's department down in Florida and qualify every year, they would send the information back to I.S.P. (my old department) and then I.S.P. would certify me. So now my firearm questions are pretty much answered.

I am starting to think that the best/easiest course is to just switch everything to Florida and be done with it. If it cost a little more than so be it. I can easily start spending 6 months down here!

Thanks for all the replies!