Thread: G vs E?
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2013, 06:32 AM   #23
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

Moutard2, just to comment on hitting an expansion joint or other road hazard. When we are running on tires that are basically at their maximum load capacity and something like this happens damage can occur but not cause a blowout to the trailer tire at that time, by the same token it can happen on a LT or P tire as well. Alone it might not be the straw that breaks the camels back.
Perhaps the expansion joint was not the best example. I wasn't trying to illustrate an example of when damage could occur but rather one where load (and thus weight) shift could occur. If my left rear trailer tire was running at maximum inflation and at a scale weight of maximum capacity and I hit a pothole on that side, I would think that there might be some kind of loading on the left side tires due to inertia, gravity, etc. and the load on those tires might then be at maximum plus something. Without any "reserve" capacity in terms of tire construction, material, etc., a catastophe could occur. I dunno ... maybe my thought process is way out in left field on this but we see examples of reserve capacities built into just about everything these days to allow for the "human" factor of pushing everything to the limit. OK, next topic!!
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote