Thread: Oregon Coast!
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 12:32 PM   #14
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Chris, I sent you a message on FB, but don't know if you got it and now I can't find it. Anyway, while you're in Newport, the fun things to see and do are:
1. Hatfield Marine Science Center, which is within walking distance of you. They handfeed the octopus, Ursula who happens to be beautiful, on certain days. Try to go on one of those days.
2. Both lighthouses - Yaquina Bay, which is an historic lighthouse, and Yaquina Head at Yaquina Head Outsanding Natural Area, which is a functioning lighthouse. The decks surrounding the Yaquina Head Lighthouse are where we worked as wildlife interpreters last summer.
3. Nye Beach area - fun to walk around. The food at Georgie's is very good.
4. Historic Bayfront - fun to walk around. There is a wonderful breakfast place there on a corner. It's blue and white, but I can't remember the name.
5. If you want to do a little kayaking, get in touch with the USFWS there at the Hatfield complex and see when they are doing trips in the Siletz Bay NWR. It is a beautiful paddle. Or you can rent kayaks at Beaver Creek Natural Area which is just south of Newport. Beautiful there, too.

Sure wish we were there to take you around. Hugs to you both.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote