View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
As soon as I get the thing figured out, I feel that the system I have invested in will have the best of both worlds. As a precursor, we do not boondock (something about teen-age girls and the Stackable Splendides being in perpetual use - at least it seems that way). On the new rig, we went with the factory option Onan 5.5 kW generator, primarily for the comfort of the furry kids (cat and dog) who travel in crates in the rig. Since we do have experience with power outages, power drops, etc. I invested in a wireless auto-start generator switch which is designed to sense a drop in the shore power and automatically start the generator and stop it when the shore power returns. With the added Progressive Industries EMS system, which drops power on low or high voltage, this provides what I feel is an acceptable backup system for those times when there are power interruptions in excessive heat conditions (as in Myrtle Beach in August). In addition, for energy conservation (the generator absolutely loves to drink propane - which resulted in an upgrade to dual 40 pound tanks), the auto-start switch has a internal thermostat which can be used to maintain the temperature in the rig, by starting and stopping the generator while maintaining a set temperature range. I will be playing with the system at the Mid-Atlantic rally since I just got it installed last week.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote