View Single Post
Old 07-22-2018, 08:24 AM   #51
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I whole heartedly agree with what was said above. I occasionally travel to a 2 week long destination knowing that my truck/trailer could be slightly over weight, loaded up with fire wood/multiple large coolers of ice and beverages/lots of food and cloths etc. That would only happen one way since most of the goods would not be there on the trip back home.

I think the whole point that we are all discussing here is the fact that most RVers never take the time to go get there rigs weighted while loaded up and ready for travel. Hence, there is know way to know if you are slightly or WAY over weight.

I do not know exactly what my rig weighs on every trip. That is simply impossible to know. But I can say that I have weighed each rig I have had multiple times in different loading situations, and I have a good idea of what my weight will be in those situations.

Lets face it, we all know that any of these very powerful diesel trucks will pull dam near anything you can put behind them down the road. Stopping them in a reasonable distance in an emergency situation is another discussion all together.

As a payload example I just looked up the specs for new 2019 Chevy trucks.
Maximum payload of any 2500 is 3276#s That's in a regular cab short bed 2 WD truck (which none of us tow with) When you add a crew cab and 4x4 the #s fall below 3000#s. The pin weight alone of many heavy units could put you over the trucks payload. Now you add your firewood/coolers/fuel/4 passengers etc. and load your camper up and you are over by 1000,s of #s

Maximum payload of any 3500 is 6112#s The 1 ton trucks nearly double your payload capacity.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote