View Single Post
Old 11-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
You can't make this stuff up. Help!!

Hey MOCers, need some help. Some of you saw my Labor day post about the blowout I had coming back from the beach. Left side, rear axle, significant damage. Three years ago I replaced all four Marathons (after 2 developed sidewall bubbles)with BFG Commercial TAs. All was uneventful until the September blowout. Tire was badly shredded by the time I pulled off to the side of the Interstate. The shop I got them from couldn't tell if it was material failure, road hazard, or what due to the condition of the tire. The tire guy did say he had never, in his years of dealing with the TA, seen one just fail due to material issues. And he said he has seen some seriously overloaded ones too. We chalked it up to a road hazard or slow leak perhaps.

Today I finally got Monty back from the body shop. Ouch - $2200 (250 deductible) but it looked great. So I start the one hour drive home and not 10 minutes from the shop....BOOM! I hear and see the RIGHT side rear tire tread separate. Yes, I immediately started sobbing! I got the rig safely to the side of the interstate. Not as much damage as the previous blowout, but it's gonna hurt as there is no way I can make another claim this soon. Of course my 6 ton jack and tools were at home...because of course there was no way another one of these tires would fail, right?? Luckily a good Samaritan (no pun intended) in a work van stopped by and had not only a big jack, but an on board pneumatic system and impact wrench! Lucky day! Got things swapped out, limped home on my Marabomb spare, and now am at a loss for what to do before next week's planned trip to Williamsburg for our annual family gathering.

Here's what I know and need help with/advice with:
The entire tread separated. There is also a big "tear" in the sidewall on the inside of the tire, from tread to rim. Not sure which is the chicken and which is the egg in this scenario.
I have not weighed each individual wheel, but do know that both axles are sharing just under 11000 lbs, probably less right now since the rig was emptied before dropping it off for repairs.
I check pressures religiously - they were all at 80 psi. Don't have a TPMS.
I ventured out onto the Interstate and recovered the "gator". There is absolutely no sign of abnormal wear on the failed tire or any of the others.
Both failures were on the rear axle.
Both axles appear to have a slight bow to them...higher in the center than the sides. It seems to me this has been this way since I bought this new in 2009. No problems until 2013. I took pictures in 2009 and showed them to my dealer who said it looked fine. Should the axles be perfectly straight? If they weren't wouldn't I see extra wear on the outside of the tires, given the positive camber of the axle? I never have seen abnormal wear on either the Marathons or the BFGs.
So the question is, has anyone had similar issues with Commercial TAs? Do you think this is more likely a material failure or could I have an axle issue? I can post pics of the axle and tire remains if it helps.
I am VERY wary of traveling next week, considering that I still have 2 TAs on the other axle and 2 have failed on the past 2 trips. WWYD?

Thanks so much!
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote