View Single Post
Old 12-19-2007, 02:33 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Diesel particulate filter(DPF)

Thought I would pass on my recent experience and knowledge gained on these new 07/08 Diesels (the ones that regenerate)

My shinny new 08 Ford 6.4L was a dog from day one...Poor MPG, Poor performance many of you may recall I said..not much better than my 05 V-10.I was not lying. Just had the DPF replaced yesterday at the local Ford Dealer here in Davenport Florida as it was diagnosed as" cracked.

My symptoms were..poor all over performance, poor MPG, frequent regenerations..black sooty tailpipe, smell of fuel when in regeneration.

I can not say this LOUD enough...If you have the new generation of Diesel and your tail pipe is black...You have serious trouble..your DPF is malfunctioning or cracked. There are NO black tail pipes in the new generation of diesels...that is what regeneration is all about... NO SOOT IN THE TAIL PIPE. Mine was defective from the factory and we drove 4800 miles like that. My fault..I knew that was not normal but we never had the time to have it looked at and I did not fully realize the negative effect a bad DPF would have on all over performance.

We just cleaned out our tail pipe. It is now bright and shinny. It took a half bottle of awesome and 1/2 roll of paper towels to clean the black soot build up out..

The folks in our row here at the camp ground wondered what I had done to the truck as it was quieter as we clattered by. We shall check performance over the next few days and report on the results.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote