Thread: model 2955
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010, 03:51 AM   #4
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
We have been using an '02 2955RL for a number of years now and we are relunctant to upgrade to a newer model. We are not full timers but would not hesitate to "long time" in it. The floor plan is pretty much unchanged in the more recent versions of the 2955 and it really works for us. I originally bought it because of its size and weight because I was new to 5th wheeling and only had a Dodge 2500 diesel to pull it with. This combo has worked out very well for us. I have no facts to back this up but I feel that the older units were made a little more ruggedly than the trailers are today. We have not seemed to experience many of the issues that I read about on the forum. For instance, our decals are still in pretty good shape after all these years. I have upgraded the shackels, remounted one of the awning supports and remounted the cover under the bedroom/hitch overhang but other than that it has remained structurally solid. I would recommend checking on the age of the tires on any used trailer only because if they blow they can cause a lot of body damage. We learned this through experience. I've read on this forum and others that tires should be replaced every five years whether they need it or not. I think the major concern for us is replacement parts for the body of the Monty but so far so good. I guess the summary is that we still love our mature 2955 and it works for us.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote