View Single Post
Old 06-01-2016, 09:24 AM   #4
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MAMalody

I have been debating solar, but have not yet pulled the trigger. Was you success dictated by voluntary restrictions or by the limited power replenishment?
Like Dick said, one becomes sort of obsessive about where the watts are going when you are even getting serious about installing a system. I sized ours for just what we did at most and not for spending weeks off grid. Usually we use it for overnights, or spending a few days in a National Forest or some such. Although my 4kw inverter could run the AC, I bought it as it was half the price of the 2kw one I wanted. Just lucked into it. I had planned on a battery bank of only four T-105s (yes, I have to check the water once a month - not that hard to do), and also four 100 watt panels (so I didn't need the expense of an MPPT solar charger). This has worked very well over three years on two cross country trips and numerous shorter ones. Only time we've needed to use a generator has been for AC the three times we got stuck with no power and 90+ degree heat. I designed the system so that I can add panels and/or batteries if we have the need, but I don't believe we'll get to that point.

For this one, we did have to limit TV to only the bedroom one, and didn't watch it much. Didn't use the microwave or coffee maker either, although we have in the past. Used our Big Buddy for heat the two nights it got a little cool instead of the furnace (fan motor). The batteries typically will recharge from about 80% to 100% in 4-5 hours of cloudless sunlight. This time we had about 4 hours total of good sunshine in the five days. They recharged totally twice in those five days, and were above 90% for the rest. Since we were gone elsewhere during the daytime and didn't need to use anything then, this worked out fine.