View Single Post
Old 07-02-2018, 10:53 AM   #20
jloftice
Established Member

M.O.C. #13211
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardinrob View Post
Just arrived at MORryde to have Independent Suspension (IS) & Disc Brake upgrade completed on my 2018.5 Montana 3921FB. Very excited to get this upgrade completed, work begins at 6AM tomorrow 06/20/18.
A word of caution to you. We had the disc brake upgrade done in November of 2016. Took a while to get them working correctly as Morryde really wasn't bleeding the brakes correctly which wound up leaving air in the lines and we had about a 3-5 delay before the brakes would become effective. Proper bleeding by myself and son in law fixed that and the brakes come on line in maybe a 1/2 second.

We took our 3402 RL out last year on a 5600 mile trip and everything was working great until we left the KOA in Flagstaff the day after Labor Day on our way home. As we left the campground I noticed we had no brakes. Thought maybe I'd just failed to get the electrical plug all the way in so I stopped and reinserted with same results. But we continued on with the thought we'd get them checked at our next layover. Then we noticed a vibration once on the freeway and I thought maybe we'd thrown a wheel weight or something. We didn't get far down the road before an off duty code enforcement officer pulled up beside us and motioned us over and I told my wife he's seeing what I'm feeling. Once stopped we discovered the left front spring bolt was missing. Coach was bouncing on the tire. And with further inspection I found the brake calipers on the front axle we dangling at the bottom of the wheel instead of at the rear position. The bolts holding the caliper mounting brackets had sheared on both sides. The holes were completely wallowed out indicating the bolts had been loose for a while before they finally sheared. Mobile repair came out and got a new bolt in the spring and removed the calipers so we could at least limp in to a repair facility. I asked him to check the rear caliper mounting bracket bolts to see if they were loose and sure enough they were all loose as well. Another couple who had the upgrade done the day before us sent me an email a couple of weeks later suggesting I check our brake caliper mouthing bolts as he'd found all of his loose as well but fortunately they did not have the catastrophic failure we had.

Given Morryde does these conversions on a daily basis I thought I'd chosen the right place for the upgrade. The ultimately stood behind their work so I guess it was a good choice but we were lucky we didn't find out in a panic stop that we had no brakes which could have been a whole lot worse.

Bottom line, check that your caliper and suspension bolts are tight!!
jloftice is offline   Reply With Quote