View Single Post
Old 02-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by danandbetty

Orv..I'm really interested in the Satellite Internet service with Starband. Could you tell me a little more about that? I'm wondering about the one-time costs for components and the ongoing costs for the service. Mind sharing how much one would have to shell out for that set up? I'm thinking there are good advantages to going this way. I thought about using my cell phone (blackberry or similar) but worry that service is spotty and unreliable in areas I may want to be in.

Also, a related subject is the solar power. I need to replace batteries..considering a two 6V set up (series) instead of two 12V (parallel) and then using solar to maintain them. Any experience you can share on this subject would be greatly appreciated. ...dan
Dan, glad to help where I can. First, you have to know up front that I'm willing to spend a little more to get a little more, if you understand what I'm saying. If you'll go here, you should get most of the information you are looking for.

We spent $1700 for our satellite system which included training. You have to take a test in order to be a qualified installer in order to be able to set up your own system each time you move.

For our solar setup, We spent $7,000+ and that included two Lifeline D8 AGM 12-volt batteries> These batteries need no maintenance and have been going strong since 2003. You can get 6-volt golf cart batteries and connect two in series and in parallel with another 6-volt series setup. For us, that didn't work because we went full time right off the bat. If you're only going to use the rig for a few trips a year, don't spend the money for the AGM batteries but stick with the golf cart batteries.

The monthly fee for Starband service is $100.

When you begin digging in this you will find there are a lot of pros and cons. Hope I might have given you something for you to look at.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote