View Single Post
Old 08-07-2019, 04:05 PM   #20
Nighthawk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10340
Side Power Connection

A few times my power cord was too short to connect to the back of the trailer. I installed a 50A plug on the side of my trailer just a bit back of the service center. We have a 2007 3400RL trailer. I installed a small panel box in the basement, cut the 4 heavy wires (one cable) going to the back of the trailer and connected the wires together in the small panel box - 3 grounds together, 3 neutrals together and 3 of one power line together and 3 of the other power line together. It has been so convenient to be able to plug into the side of my trailer. I can also connect to the back of the trailer when needed. True, both receptacles are energized when plugged in and I'm taking chances with a hot open plug, should someone stick their hands in the open hot receptacle.

But the convenience is wonderful.

I've also installed a 120v connector in the service center to connect a home-made-up cord to a regular 120v outlet in my garage to plug the trailer in at home for 120v AC power. It all works very well for me.

The difficult part was connecting 3 #8 wires together in the small panel box I installed in the basement.