View Single Post
Old 03-21-2019, 09:02 AM   #1
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Improving ground connections?

I am having an issue with my hydraulic system (separate thread) and I have been going thru my battery connections and checking ground connections etc.

I found an old thread yesterday about improving the ground connection.
It was from an older post - but I could not remember who posted it or when, and I searched for it last night and could not find it again.

Anyway - I disconnected one of my ground wires (battery is not hooked up and I am unplugged from shore power). It looks to me like the lock washer under the self tapping screw made a few pin-points of clean connection to the bare steel of the framing member - but the black factory paint is still intact.
Is that all that is needed for a good ground? or should I scrap off the paint to bare steel and reinstall the same lock washer and tapping screw, and get it good and tight? Or do I need to throw the self tapper away and go with a new bolt, nut and washer?

The post I found yesterday went thru a detailed step by step procedure to improve the ground connection. I wish I could find it again - but I thought I would cast the question out there and I will get the same good answers back.
Thanks in advance!
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is online now   Reply With Quote