View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 05:42 AM   #16
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Hey Art,
The generator installation is for the Onan Marquis 5.5kw LP powered unit. Our primary use for the generator is a little different than that of most people in that we use it primarily for running the AC when we are mobile in hot weather. We run the AC because the pets (dog and cat) travel in crates in the rig. The Kipor would run the front (13500 BTU) AC with no problems and has served us well (it will still be used for the stickhouse backup when the power goes out). As one of the mods on the 3400, I installed a receptacle in the front of the rig so I could run a 30 Amp shore feed to the rig from the generator which was carried in the back of the truck. So now the obvious question is why such an investment for the pets. It is the pets as well as my back. Your post about the weight of the 40 pound tanks rings true, but believe me, the Kipor was a major hassle. It weighs around 160 pounds. So before trips in the summer, I would have to loosen the fifth wheel hitch (200 pounds or so), and move it to the side of the bed so I could roll the generator on ramps into the truck bed where it would be cable locked in. After returning, the generator would have to be removed since I don't trust leaving it in the bed all the time. So the decision was one that can primarily be associated with aging (Even though I only turned 29 again for the 22nd time in December!). Another thing I considered was that these units can be equipped with an automatic start that will fire up the generator when shore power is lost. A big benefit in 90 degree weather when we are elsewhere and the pets are in the rig. On the note about the truck, ours is rated for 16,600 pounds fifth-wheel towing, and the 3750 fits within all the numbers (at least as far as I am concerned). I like the truck mainly because it is the last model ("Classic") with the unencumbered (this can be read as before the gov't changed all of them) diesel engine. As for the other rigs that really caught Cathy's eyes, they are north of 20,000 pounds, which the new diesels supposedly can pull, but I would not feel comfortable pulling with the current truck. I really have no so-called loyalty to Montana (we also strongly considered a Cameo and Carri-Lite), but this floor plan fits every need we have for the current time as well as the future. Primary criteria for us has lately been closet for stackable washer/dryer, the stand-alone bathroom, closet space, and the 3750 has all of them. The open floor plan from the living room through the kitchen and dining area was another strong factor. If you have never been in one of these new floorplans, they are definitely worth a look see.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote