View Single Post
Old 11-18-2014, 03:49 PM   #30
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
We have 40# propane bottles we kept from our previous SOB, both have small gauges on them so it is easy to open the compartment and see how much propane we have remaining. The lift to test method is out of the question for a lot of people and I can assure you once you have lifted a full 40# bottle into place you don't want to be lifting it on occasion to see it is empty or not.

My 40# tanks have two holes in the top of the tank one accepts the valve and the other the gauge, they seem to be pretty accurate and of course last a third again as long as a 30# tank, would hate to go back to a 30# tank.

I do not use the automatic crossover except to change tanks and if camping when the furnace is being used frequently I check on the tank gauge regularly and change over before one goes completely empty. This has worked for me for a good number of years and we camp a fair amount when the furnace is required. Have never had to get up in the night to change tanks but would not consider that a really major inconvenience, I would send the DW out telling her I would keep her side of the bed warm....NOT....

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote