View Single Post
Old 11-06-2019, 07:51 PM   #5
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Although I am not familiar with your unit (never seen one in person), I assume the door is hard to open because of the friction hinge (which I hate with a passion)...
No, it's not the friction hinge. You can't open the door HANDLE because the striker is locked so hard against the striker plate. When we dropped it off, it was probably bowed out a 1/4" in the middle. It's noticeable.

Why does everyone hate the friction hinge? We actually like that feature. Our daughters 5er has that on it, and that was the first time that we saw it.

Quote:
...Someone must be opening that door farther then necessary, making it contact the slide out (as stated bad design).

The deal with this, though, is that there are going to be times where the door is opened up far enough to hit the rails on the slide. Whether that's a human opening the door, or the wind grabbing the door, and opening it for you. We live in Kansas, and there no friction hinge that's going to keep the wind from pushing that door, if it' gets out of your hands. It is truly a bad design. When we get it back, I think that I'm going to have to look into some sort of door stop and/or catch to at least prevent it from going out that far.

Quote:
... How about the possibility of the slide being pulled in while the door is against it?.
I think that you're absolutely right that this is what has happened!!! However, this didn't happen on our watch, and now we start the fight to get it fixed. This is our first Montana warranty snafu, and less than a month into this thing, we're not starting off on the right foot.

Good post!!!
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote