View Single Post
Old 07-24-2006, 04:15 AM   #130
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Never feel bad to ask questions. The reason the washer/dryer is in the front closet on a 2955RL is because it is a smaller unit and that was the only place they could fit it in.
No question, the location of the washer-dryer on a 3400 is a much nicer place for convenience and weight distribution. Many of us have found the posted pin weight on the Montana charts are very low. Industry wide , it is accepted that up to 25% of a fifth wheel's pin weight can go on the pin. My Ford specs say to stay between 15-25%
When you load and use a fifth wheel, pin weight increases and get's closer to the 25% mark.
Look at where the storage is, up front, basement. Do any of the Montanas have outside storage behind the axles because everything ahead of the axles will add weight to the pin.
A 14000 pound unit , the pin can go as high as 3500 pounds. A full timer would be hard pressed to keep his pin weight under that. We all need "stuff" to live. The full timer has to take all his stuff with him. I beleive the only reason that the 3/4 tons and the 1 tons have the same combined rating is for people who want to tow a conventional trailer that should only put 10% on the ball. No RV maker is going to come out and suggest that their larger models were built for 1 ton duallies. That would be shooting themselves in the foot as far as sales but in reality, units like the 3400 are much too heavy for SRW pickups. I am sorry if this offends people. Look at people like Rich who researched his 3400 purchase. He states all the time he would not pull a 3400 with a SRW. I have an 05 F350 SRW with an 11200 pound GVWR but because the truck weighs 7800 pounds, I only have a 3400 pound payload. Because I travel with a tool box, auxilary fuel tank, two large dogs , my wife and I are not light people, I could not pull a large Montana, but my 2955RL puts my GVR at 11080, just under my max rating.

If I ever decide to go with a 3400 , I will have to get a bigger truck. So far we are happy with the 2955RL but I just love that 3400. Take care and remember the truth can set you free but not on an RV website.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote