View Single Post
Old 09-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #15
tonycamacho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9300
Send a message via AIM to tonycamacho
A few years ago a friend of mine with a class "A" RV had his propane tank filled in Oceanside, Ca. The operator that filled the tank remarked to my friend that as a favor he put a little extra propane in the tank so it should last longer. As my friend proceeded to San Diego he began to smell propane and his wife noticed a stream of vapor trailing the RV. They stop and as he opened the propane compartment where the vapor was flowing out, he heard the water pump cycle and fire ball engulfed the RV. My pal barely had time enough to extract his wife and the furball cat before the coach burn to the ground. The fire department arrived and was not able to save the coach but did get enough water on the propane tank cooling it and keeping it from exploding. Their investigation revealed that the tank was overfilled and as the day temperatures rose the pressure in the tank increased, it popped the safety disc and began discharging the propane. A spark from the water pump when it cycled lit off the vapor.
A later law suit over this matter determined that the operator was not certified to fill propane and overfilled or over pressured the tank. The company was found at fault.

Tony
tonycamacho is offline   Reply With Quote