View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 06:14 AM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Being in Illinois, (kinda central), you can pick your location. Florida is popular, Texas is just due south, Arizona is very scenic and California is expensive. These are all "Snow Bird" RVers popular places to go.

Get all the options you ever think you'll need. Installing them in the aftermarket will be more expensive. Don't be intimidated by the size because of it. In time you'll get used to it and I've met more people who have kicked themselves with the "I shoulda got the bigger one" because they did get used to it but the intimidation got the better of them. If you are capable of learning, then you'll do fine with the bigger, badder model especially if it meets your needs - 2nd A/C, generator OR solar recharge system OR both, W/D hooked up properly (not to the black tank), Leveling system, larger fridge, upgraded suspension and upgraded hitch box. If you have any questions on what and why, please ask. Sure, we're spending your money, but it might be money well spent for you based on MOC members' experiences.

Boondocking is exactly what you think it is. It's also know as "RVing off-the-grid". Without hookups you'll also need other equipment to carry (Tote, Water Bladder, Pump, etc.) Above I mentioned a suitable generator AND solar recharging system. I have a friend who swore by Solar systems and he has a nice one but only enough power for one A/C, then took a long RV vacation (several months) in summer, camping under trees all the time to help cool the rig and found the solar panels could not keep up since he was under the shade most of the time (no A/C, ugh). Now he knows why I went the generator route, even though I would love an adequate solar system.

Make sure you get more truck than you need. Today's need will change tomorrow so look to the future (the MOC should be able to help you with this). I tried to be exact and fell short due to unforeseen surprises (another long story). No doubt, the F-450 dually will meet your needs and the new model is rated FANTASTIC by anyone that has one, but the other automakers might also have something suitable.

Lastly, know your weights ahead of time. Shipping weight is completely useless for this and is why RV dealers will sell using this number. Go by the GVWR, GTWR, AWRs and CGVWR (please ask, if not familiar). Then you must check with your state and find out if there are driver's license requirements for the weight when an RV is concerned. For example, in California I tow a trailer between 10,000 and 15,000 and was required to get an RV endorsement for my Class C license. Many states require some kind of fee or license if you are over 20,000 or more CGVWR and so on. This is why some owners have created a "new" residence in a state that is cheaper to own their rig combination. Or like many who aren't familiar with these guidelines you can "take your chances".

I hope these suggestions help, but there are so many things to know and they are not as bad as anyone should think.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote