View Single Post
Old 01-07-2007, 04:01 PM   #15
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Update:

Yesterday 01/06, we headed to the storage lot and hooked up the Monty for some backup practice. Two hours of backup practice is all our 35 year marriage could endure. We where never good at backing up our 17 foot travel trailer and so far we aren't good at backing up our monster 5th wheel. In our simulated campground of cones we hit 3 lamp posts.

Next we drove to Campingworld about 15 miles taking only back roads to get practice on narrow roads and in traffic. I just missed a guard rail at the first turn out of the storage lot. Must make WIDER turns.

Stopped at Campingworld and I got to practice making turns in a parking lot without hitting other RVs, light poles or trees. Why would a place intended for RVs have obstacles in the parking lot? Also, does Campingworld have any competition? You can get some RV stuff at Walmart but, only limited supplies.

We then went for a one night stay at an RV Park 25 miles from home (pull through); I got to practice driving on crowded, busy two lane roads. Overnight low 28, this is California it isn't suppose to be cold. We did pretty well remembering how to setup, unhitch and re-hitch. We busied ourselves arranging the cabinets and adding the "permanent" things to the Monty.

Then the three of us (80 pound Golden Retriever added) settled into watch the DVD of RV in our new home. We still can't believe it's ours, nor can we believe how big it looks when attached to our already really big truck.

So I have learned:

1. MAKE WIDER TURNS!!!
2. The heater really works great
3. Backing up is HARD!
4. I can do this as long as I always have a pull through.

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote