View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 04:37 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Betsy, another place for your list in the closeby Boston area is the Minuteman National Historical Park near Concord. This is the path Paul Revere rode on his famous midnight ride. Besides several houses and Hartwell Tavern, which was a meeting place for the rebels, and you can stand at the point where they say Paul Revere was captured. Etc. Etc. It's a wow place.

PLUS, right in that same area TWO homes where Louisa May Alcott lived. She lived in one, Orchard House, while she wrote the book, Little Women, which is about her life while living in the other home, Wayside. If I recall, these homes are just down the road from each other, a mile or two. Wayside was also once the home of Nathaniel Hawthorne.

AND, Walden Pond is not far, either.

AND, the Old North Bridge where it all started is close to there, also. Near Concord. That is absolutely worth a visit.

And, if you have time, the town of Concord is interesting. We had dinner with friends at the Concord Inn, which has a big list of historical significance. Henry David Thoreau lived in that building, for one.

Betsy and Dave, I'm getting tired just thinking of how much you are going to cover in a couple of weeks. We spent two weeks there the first time and a month the second time. There is so much to see there. I hope you continue to enjoy the area.

OK, I'm done editing to add more things to this as I think of them.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote