View Single Post
Old 01-04-2020, 09:34 AM   #10
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I don't see where going Residential vs RV fridge makes that big a difference in counter space. Our floor plan comes in two versions (HC381TH and HC380TH). The ONLY difference in the two is one comes with Residential and other comes with RV fridge. The counter and storage space is EXACTLY the same on both. More to the point the Fridge space is exactly the same size as well (but I am fairly sure the interior of the residential is larger). So "I don't get" the argument that somehow the "trend" towards Residential fridges is have a major impact on cabinet space? I will put the one caveat out there that on our floor plan the fridge is slide out on opposite wall from the kitchen countertop (no island in this model. And since a residential costs considerably less than an RV fridge I would think it would leave more money for more cabinets?

When we bought our unit we had NO idea that we would be full timers. We bought it to use on weekends to pursue our passion for kayaking. It was great for that application but is somewhat lacking as a full time unit (primarily due to relatively small bathroom and lack of kitchen counter space). I am fairly convinced that they build campers for families and Class A for couples. And honestly to a large extent that makes sense. You rarely see a family in a big Class A. I will argue one thing though. If you don't understand why full timers prefer a residential then your obviously not a full timer!!!

I do agree that there needs to be a LOT more variety in what they offer. Tastes and needs run across a wide range. For instance there is a trend out there with some RV builders towards white painted cabinets while another is going towards gray laminates. The wife and I really love natural wood finishes. Granted that isn't a floor plan issue, just an appearance one.

I also agree that there could be more storage and counter space built into these units. One of the things that I have noticed on the 381TH Facebook page is all the cabinet mods being done (especially in the kitchen area). If your handy there is always the option to add what you want......

Overall I think the trends on RVs is dictated by the industries perception of what they can build the cheapest and move the most of. The Economics of Scale is how they are looking at it. If they can build a thousand of the exact same thing and sell them all. Why would they build two of something else? The less options they offer the cheaper they can build them. The cheaper they build them the less they cost and the more folks can afford them or the more profit margin they have.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote