View Single Post
Old 01-17-2005, 01:50 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Where a policy is sold is usually not relevant to your concern. What is relevant is the area of coverage. If it is a Managed Care policy (HMO or PPO type policy) then there is a defined network of providers under contract to provide services. Go outside that network and you either get no coverage or you pay a larger share (perhaps more than your normal deductible).

If a traditional policy, with traditional meaning non-managed care (i.e non-hmo and non-ppo and similar) then you may have the same deductibles and co-pays no matter where you go. But you still need to confirm that. Each policy an insurer sells could have different rules.

What I'm trying to say is your policy should cover you just about anywhere but the degree of coverage and/or the size of deductibles and co-pays may be unique to each policy. So in your purchase decision you should explain your plans to travel and ask all the questions to ensure you understand what you are buying.

I hope that's not too muddy. Bottom line is where you buy doesn't matter. What you buy does matter. And even catastrophic policies vary, even within the same insurer.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote