View Single Post
Old 03-21-2007, 08:38 AM   #8
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Kelly, A few comments:

==> Your Grandma is 5 years older than I, so I don't know about her ability to take the mountain roads !

==> I am familiar with the route you are considering and have towed our Montana over much of it. Highway 160 crosses over Wolf Creek Pass between Pagosa Springs and South Fork. We towed our Montana over that pass two years ago. There was construction on both ends of the pass, but we did not have unreasonable delay. It is a mountain road, no doubt about that, but I wouldn't hesitate a minute to travel it again.

Interesting, our route was exactly as you have described: to meet up with US 285 (We took Colorado 112 at Del Norte to get over to 285). 285 climbs gradually out of the San Luis Valley over a gentle pass into Poncha Springs. Our daughter lives in Buena Vista so that was our stopping place for that particular journey.

==> However, we pulled our Montana from Buena Vista up to Estes Park last September so I will comment on the route we took. We did not want to follow 285 on up to Denver because of the urban congestion, so we took US 24 up to Leadville, then Colorado 91 over the pass to connect with I70 near Frisco. We exited I70 just east of Idaho Springs and took US 6 to connect with Colorado 119 which is called the "Peak to Peak Highway". It is constant curves and much up and down but no difficult passes. I would not hesitate to make that route again. The scenery along that drive is spectacular. At Nederland the route number becomes 72, but is still called the "Peak to Peak Highway" (119 goes off to the east) Just past Raymond, you enter Colorado 7 for the final leg of the journey into Estes Park.

==> Summary: on your contemplated route Wolf Creek Pass is a serious mountain pass but plenty of room--not like the Million Dollar Highway into Ouray. After that the rest should be no problem at all. You may want to go through Denver, but we did not and I do highly recommend the "Peak to Peak Highway". Just don't try to rush, it is nothing like our highways in Texas.

==> If you have any more specific questions, you might want to email me using my profile, or send a "private message" from that same place.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote