View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
We've been over that section of I-70 several times and never thought of it as difficult. The drive from Chama, NM to Pagosa Springs is one of our favorites--beautiful drive.

Depending on the time of day, your schedule, etc. you might want to drop down to Ouray from Ridgeway. It would be a great place for a lunch break, or even an overnight. Ouray is another favorite of ours.

We always take I-25 all the way south to Raton then pick up US 87 to Dalhart and Dumas before joining US 287 which we follow all the way to Wichita Falls and Henrietta. This is an alternate for you to consider.

This sounds like a great trip. We will be leaving one week from today. We will spend the first night at Goodlett, Texas at the Ole Cotton Gin RV park, then the second night at Cedar Rail RV at the top of Raton Pass, then on to Gunnison/Crested Butte and later Colorado Springs before heading on up to Glacier National Park.

EDIT TO ADD:

Be sure to check for forest fires. The route from Pagosa Springs to the east (Wolf Creek Pass--> South Fork) has been closed. I know that's not your route, but stay on top of the fire situation.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote