Thread: Battery Life
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2018, 07:29 AM   #1
Baker126

M.O.C. #21317
Battery Life

I am a new to the RV world and started off with a 2018 High County 375FL. The unit was purchased in November and used one time that month. It sat in storage until Thursday (March 1) when it was pulled out to do some boondocking.

I was hoping to not use the generator too much but it seems the two batteries I have die very quickly...within a couple hours. I knew the batteries were low when I pulled the camper out of storage so I hook up the shore line to the generator and let it run for eight hours. Shut off for the night and by 2am, the batteries were dead. I know this because the furnace was off...and I was freezing...

There is a residential refrigerator in this unit which is powered by an inverter. I had the inventor off overnight because I knew that would cause some issues. Other than that, nothing was running but the furnace.

Thinking the converter was not charging the batteries enough, I obtained a battery charger and connected that to the batteries yesterday. The generator ran for eigth hours connected to the shore power. The charger ran from an extension cord to the batteries charging for the eight hours. I shut off the generator at 4am and got up at 8:30. The battery indicator on the rig shows “Fair”. I did leave the refrigerator on when I shut off the generator but the salesman advised the refrigerator could be run for eight hours before there would be any issue.

My question is this...how long should my batteries last with minimal draw like the furnace? I was hoping to primarily use the batteries, starting the generator periodically to top off and use the microwave.

Thanks for any help.
Baker126 is offline   Reply With Quote