View Single Post
Old 06-30-2006, 03:19 AM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I have been monitoring Alltel's coverage. They have RAPIDLY expanded nationwide these past 36 months (much by buying up smaller companies and upgrading them). We have been to Las Vegas a few times, from Michigan to Western Manitoba, from Mich to Kansas City, From Mich to Memphis, from Mich to Mobile, AL, from Mich to Asheville, NC then on to Orlando, FL. And in Washington, DC. Been to Atlanta, GA several times, as well as Pittsburg, PA a few times.

Never any problems with Alltel coverage in any of those places - no roaming on their National plan, and less expensive in many cases on my comparisons with Verizon. Their high speed service is expanding very rapidly, as I am watching this carefully.

As I look at their National coverage map, it actually has a little more coverage than Verizon, and if Verizon has great coverage, then I would suspect Alltel's would rival them. We have certainly had no problems with them in our travels.

I have no problem switching to Verizon (or any other company) if need be. Right now it doesn't seem necessary. Even though the bulk of our travel/cellular experience has been on the east side of the Mississippi, except for Manitoba/Las Vegas/Kansas City, KS, I would suspect that their coverage map would be as accurate in the West as it seems to be in the East.

Alltel's aircards have recently come down in price. I'll probably make a decision in the next two weeks.

Judy, I take it that it is fairly easy switch from aircard to WiFi, and back again with your laptops?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote