View Single Post
Old 11-30-2006, 05:47 PM   #1
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
Power Surge Did Some Cooking?

A couple days ago we had a momentary power outage, where the lights blinked and came back on in just a few cycles. It turns out that 3 appliances were "fried" - microwave, air purifier and noise maker. Of the three, only the air purifier was operating at the time. When power came back on, the air purifier was running at very high speed and was shut down rather quickly. We did not realize untill later in the evening that tme microwave was not working - no clock light and no heating. I found that breaker had tripped, and reset it but to no avail. The TV was running at the time but no damage was done to it. No other problems could be found, ie the converter seems to be operating ok, and the battery is staying charged.

Upon checking with the neighbors and the Power Company, there were no system outages at that time. I checked with Keystone who thought that the most likely cause was at the Park Power Pedastel where I was plugged into. It was thought that we probably received a momentary 240V on one of the 2 feeds causing the appliance failures. Probably because of a grounding issue. My question is, would a surge suppressor plugged into the 50 amp power cable have prevented the damage to appliances? It should be noted that the in-line fuse in the microwave was still intact even though the mother board was "fried". Also note that the microwave is being replaced throgh the extended warrantee.

Jim
jsrang is offline   Reply With Quote