View Single Post
Old 04-27-2018, 05:47 PM   #22
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
According to his calculations he already has a 2000lb safety cushion, just how much does he need. Not everyone enjoys over paying!
If the OP already has a truck and it can safely tow his current trailer then by all means use what ya got till you are ready to upgrade.

BUT the argument you make goes right out the window when you think about not only a safety cushion but also ROOM TO GROW! Lets be honest, how many folks do you know that bought a smaller 5th wheel and where looking at a bigger one before they had made their second payment?

Based on my own experience (see below) my general advice to folks that are just starting to look at towing and 5th wheels for the first time is buy way more truck than you need for the camper you are looking at now. Because about 80-90% of people that buy a small 5th wheel to start with end up getting a bigger one and in very short order (as in way before they need a new truck)!! Not having to trade both truck and trailer helps a LOT!!! Besides IF you decide that you don't like 5th wheel camping it is very easy to sell what is in very high demand on the used truck market (IE: Long Bed 4x4 Dually).

Having said that I can tell you that I didn't listen to the advice of others and bought a 3/4 ton to tow my previous camper. I delayed upgrading to a larger camper (and had to pass up some fairly good deals on same) till I bought the 1 ton dually! I wish I had listened to the wisdom of others and went ahead with the 1 ton from the get go.....
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote