Thread: Mountains
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2007, 01:16 PM   #7
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
I agree with all that has been said. One small adder, as your climbing the grade you should stay alert to cresting the hill and acknowledge the backside may be a steep (usually posted) grade, do not allow yourself to crank up the speed as the climb subsides but hold back to something like 55 mph. I say this because I have lost my head and crested the hill with this big bad Turbo Diesel cranking 60 - 65 mph...(I know not an intelligent thing) and found when I hit the breaks, because now were running on downside closing on 70mph!!, there's a huge mph reduction needed to get back down to tranny drag mode...well, have seen my tach suddenly jump towards the 4k rpm mark, causing me to poke the tow/haul mode "OFF" to release that mode, recovers the rpm to prevent floating my valves, crashing them into the pistons..., and use brakes to recover speed, then at 50mph or less tow/haul back on and a bit-o-relief, short prayer, mummbling to myself (mentally calling myself an idiot) how could I let this happen we are not in a race...and no need to touch brakes for rest of 3 - 4 mile grade as tranny/diesel drag contain my speed no problem.
Lesson learned...why be in a hurry aren't we supposed to enjoy the journey?! Darn Yankee's ... always in a hurry...no patience...
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote