View Single Post
Old 11-09-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I pay too much attention to others business!

Bad Michael! Ok I admit it. I have better situational awareness since I started towing. Perhaps too much. I look at things and wonder, "should he be doing that"? I am not the weight police. I like to think I am the "is that reasonable" observer.

It's not just towing. Some people are just nuts? The local tractor store is having a sale on water tanks. 300-500 gallons. I drive by the place couple times a day, it's just outside our subdivision. The units appear to fit nicely inside a truck bed by design. I see them being loaded all the time. I assumed just to get them home.

We are developing a 1/2 acre lot to store our RV and rent space to others to store RVs in a safe secure facility. Today while reviewing grading done yesterday, a man pulled into "spray water on a portion of roadway to keep down dust". His pickup was a stock 3-5 year old 3/4 ton long bed. In the back he had a 325 gallon version of the tanks I mentioned. Had a sprayer and generator set up.

I asked him how it drove with 3000 + lbs of swashing water and another 500lbs of equipment. )Not to mention tool box, tools and his own 300lbs). He said, lil heavy, but it can do it. As I walked to back of truck I could feel the heat coming off the rear brakes! I brought this to his attention, did not think it was out of ordinary! Ok....

What could I say? I asked him if he thought it "might" be too heavy for the truck? His answer "they would not build or sell them if not legal"! Ah, I responded. "Did it ever occur to you, it might just be for hauling purposes, not for using full of water in your truck"? He said "nope" and went on spraying.

So I guess it's not just towing. Some people just ignore weight when hauling! We need to watch out for these types...especially on their cell phones. Lord help us!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote